Basel Neighbourhoods and Municipalities
Basel is a compact city with distinct neighbourhood characters. Whether quiet residential area or lively city quarter — here is the overview.
Gundeldingen
Officially, the "Gundeli" has been called "Cundoltingin" since 1194 and remained a sleepy farming village of barely 30 houses until 1870 — until a Mainz-based property company bought up 72 hectares of land in 1872 and had the quarter built out in an American grid pattern within just a few decades. Out of fear of "German encroachment", the planned street names were scrapped at the last minute: the main axis has been called Dornacherstrasse ever since, after the Battle of Dornach in 1499, and the squares Tellplatz and Winkelriedplatz after Swiss folk heroes. Today Gundeldingen is Basel's most densely populated quarter — a "city within the city", as the Tageswoche newspaper calls it: conservative at its core, dynamic at its edges. The area is defined by the Gundeldinger Feld, the former Burckhardt/Sulzer machine factory, converted since 2000 into a cultural site with a climbing hall, Theater Süd, its own brewery and the pitch-dark restaurant blindekuh, staffed by blind and visually impaired people. Margarethenpark is within walking distance, as are numerous restaurants, cafés and an organic market along Güterstrasse. Roche is a 15-minute walk away, and the SBB railway station is 5 minutes by tram.
The Gundeli pulses with energy: a "city within the city" with tram connections in every direction, the cultural heartbeat of the Gundeldinger Feld, and a wonderfully mixed neighbourhood. Ideal for anyone who wants to be right in the middle of things — under 15 minutes on foot to Roche.
Show on the map →| Population | 18'000 |
| To Roche (min) | 12 |
| To Novartis (min) | 10 |
| Green space | 8% |
| Avg. age | 38 |
Bachletten
The name Bachletten reveals its origins: "Letten" means clay soil, of the kind that once ran through the marshy terrain along the Birsig and Rümelinbach streams. Until 1870 this was open farmland — then, within just a few decades, an Art Nouveau villa quarter emerged, centred on the Pauluskirche, built by Carl Moser in 1898. With around 42% green space, Bachletten is one of Basel's greenest quarters; in dialect it is affectionately, mockingly nicknamed "Bläächdalbe" or "Alumyyniumdalbe" — a dig at the nearby, considerably more upmarket St. Alban ("Dalbe"). The Zolli, Basel's zoo and the oldest in Switzerland, opened in 1874 and sits right on the quarter's border — fittingly, the tram stop is named "Zoo Bachletten". The Schützenmatte, informally known as "Basel's Hyde Park", serves as a large sports meadow. The area is defined by characterful residential streets lined with older buildings, private gardens and low building density; a striking number of doctors' and therapy practices around Schweizergasse have earned the quarter a reputation as especially popular among physicians. Margarethenpark is within walking distance. Tram 17 reaches the SBB railway station in 8 minutes.
Period apartments with high ceilings, quiet residential streets, and the Zolli and Schützenmatte just around the corner. Bachletten is Basel for people who like things a little quieter — while still staying close to the pulse of the city.
Show on the map →| Population | 11'000 |
| To Roche (min) | 15 |
| To Novartis (min) | 13 |
| Green space | 15% |
| Avg. age | 40 |
St. Johann
St. Johann takes its name from the Knights of St. John, who founded a commandery here in 1206 — Celts had already settled near what is now Voltastrasse centuries earlier. Its industrial character was shaped from 1886 onward by the Kern & Sandoz dye factory on Gasstrasse, from which — via Sandoz and the 1996 merger with Ciba-Geigy — today's Novartis group emerged. Since 2001, the former factory site has been transforming, under a masterplan by architect Vittorio Magnago Lampugnani, into the Novartis Campus — featuring buildings by nine Pritzker Prize laureates (including Frank Gehry, SANAA, Diener & Diener, Tadao Ando, Renzo Piano), a globally unmatched concentration of star architecture on a single corporate site. The Roche headquarters with its towers is clearly visible from here on the other side of the Rhine. St. Johanns-Park on the Rhine recalls the area's earlier use as pastureland with climbing sculptures of pigs and geese, and the Rhine riverside path leads all the way to Huningue in France — Alsace lies right on the doorstep. Curiously, St. Johann railway station belongs to the SBB but is served exclusively by French trains — one of only two such "ghost stations" in Switzerland. On Saturdays, the market at Vogesenplatz draws crowds — one of Basel's oldest neighbourhood markets.
St. Johann has become the top choice for pharma expats: the Novartis Campus, with buildings by nine Pritzker Prize laureates, is right on the doorstep, and Roche is visible from the Rhine promenade.
Show on the map →| Population | 15'000 |
| To Roche (min) | 8 |
| To Novartis (min) | 5 |
| Green space | 10% |
| Avg. age | 35 |
Kleinbasel
Kleinbasel was an independent town with its own jurisdiction until 1392, when it was sold to Grossbasel for 29,800 guilders and merged into one city. Older still than this union is the Vogel Gryff: first documented in 1304, to this day the three Kleinbasel honorary societies — Wild Maa, Leu and Vogel Gryff — dance on a January day on the Mittlere Rheinbrücke, while the Wild Maa drifts downstream on a raft. According to legend, the Lällekönig on the Grossbasel side still cheekily sticks his tongue out at the people of Kleinbasel — though historians consider the story a myth. The right bank of the Rhine bend today is defined by contrast: the Roche Tower 2 stands 205 metres tall, the tallest building in Switzerland, while Klybeck and Kleinhüningen offer some of the most affordable rents in the canton. The Kleinhüningen Rhine harbour, in operation since 1922, is Switzerland's only sea-connected, globally networked port and handles around 10% of all Swiss imports. The Markthalle, built in 1929, once bore the third-largest reinforced-concrete dome in the world and today serves as a market and event hall. The Badischer Bahnhof, a German railway station on Swiss soil, connects directly to Freiburg and Karlsruhe. The Rhine promenade, Claraplatz and the Museum Tinguely (Mario Botta) are popular meeting points, and the Klybeck site is being transformed into a new 300,000 m² district.
Across the Rhine, Kleinbasel has its own distinct character: older than the union with Grossbasel itself, more affordable in rent, and with Switzerland's tallest building on the skyline. 18 minutes to Novartis by bike.
Show on the map →| Population | 55'154 |
| To Roche (min) | 18 |
| To Novartis (min) | 16 |
| Green space | 12% |
| Avg. age | 37 |
Bruderholz
The name Bruderholz derives from the "Waldbrüder" ("forest brothers") — hermits who lived in the wooded strips of the hill during the Middle Ages. Geologically, the hill is a fertile loess ridge that was used almost exclusively for agriculture until around 1920. Only after that did a planned, stately villa quarter for the upper middle class emerge; in 1928 Bruderholz was administratively separated from Gundeldingen and became its own quarter. In common speech, the hill is still known as "Bonzenhügel" ("posh hill") — not entirely without reason: one in eight residents is a millionaire, more than double the citywide average, and at 58.7% it has the highest matriculation (Matura) rate of any Basel quarter. With 71% green space, Bruderholz is also Basel's greenest urban quarter. The 30-metre water tower, built in 1926, is freely accessible and offers a panoramic view over the city. The quarter's medical care is provided by the Kantonsspital Baselland, Bruderholz site. A car is worthwhile — trams 15 and 16 take around 12 minutes into the city centre. Rents are among the highest in the canton.
Spacious villas, virtually no through traffic, and one in eight neighbours a millionaire. Bruderholz is Basel's green premium address for anyone who prefers absolute peace and privacy over central city living.
Show on the map →| Population | 5'000 |
| To Roche (min) | 18 |
| To Novartis (min) | 16 |
| Green space | 25% |
| Avg. age | 47 |
Innere Stadt / Altstadt
Basel's Old Town lies almost exactly within the 1200 city walls and looks back on more than 2,000 years of history, from the Roman trade route along what is now Freie Strasse (first mentioned in 1241 as "libera strata") to Switzerland's oldest university. The university was opened in 1460 in the Münster itself, by papal bull, growing out of the Council of Basel (1432–48) — Erasmus of Rotterdam taught here and made Basel a centre of European humanism. The Kunstmuseum Basel, founded in 1661, is among the oldest public art collections in the world. From the Pfalz, the open terrace right behind the Münster, the view stretches to the Dreiländereck ("three-country corner") and, on clear days, to the Black Forest — a prime vantage point complemented by three engineless Rhine ferries, propelled solely by the current. The Marktplatz hosts the city's oldest and largest fresh-produce market almost every day. The highlight of the year is Basel's Fasnacht (carnival): at the "Morgestraich", all the lights in the city centre are switched off at 4 a.m. on the Monday, before thousands of drummers and pipers wind through the narrow lanes — the city's "drey scheenschte Dääg" ("three most beautiful days"). Freie Strasse and Barfüsserplatz remain the commercial axes.
The Münster, the Kunstmuseum and the Rhine bank right on the doorstep — and once a year, Basel's Fasnacht right outside the window. Living space is scarce and correspondingly sought-after — those who move in here live in the oldest and most beautiful part of the city.
Show on the map →| Population | 4'500 |
| To Roche (min) | 15 |
| To Novartis (min) | 12 |
| Green space | 6% |
| Avg. age | 39 |
St. Alban
St. Alban is one of Basel's oldest and most exclusive quarters — known simply as "Dalbe" in dialect, with its own "Dalbekirche" and "Dalbedoor". Narrow lanes, water channels and the St. Alban-Tal, also called "Little Venice", define its character. As early as the 12th century, the St. Alban monastery had the St. Alban-Teich canal built to power mills; from the late Middle Ages, paper was produced here without interruption for almost 450 years, until 1924 — today the Basler Papiermühle keeps this history alive as a working museum. The St. Alban-Tor, a preserved section of the medieval city wall, sits in the middle of the quarter, as does the Museum für Gegenwartskunst right next to the paper mill. St. Alban has traditionally been home to the "Daig", Basel's old patrician class — families such as Bernoulli, Burckhardt, Merian or Sarasin, who once distinguished themselves from the rest of the city through discreet wealth and even their own letterbox initials in place of a full name. Located directly on the Rhine, it has long been home to many wealthy Basel families.
Historic lanes, babbling canals and the Basler Papiermühle right on the doorstep: St. Alban — known in dialect as "Dalbe" — is Basel's quietest and most exclusive Old Town quarter on the Rhine.
Show on the map →| Population | 12'589 |
Breite
The name Breite derives from "die Gebreite", a field name from the 14th century — despite its name ("breite" meaning "wide"), the quarter between the Birs and the Rhine in Basel's south is actually rather narrow and green. Built up from the mid-19th century, the Breite was until 1950 a classic working-class quarter: more than half the population worked in what was once Basel's most important export industry, silk-ribbon weaving, or in construction, and for decades the quarter was a stronghold of social democracy. In dialect, its residents are still known as "Braitlemer" or "Braiti" today. The Breite has retained its down-to-earth, unpretentious character to this day and has been largely spared from gentrification. The Rheinbad Breite, a steel river bathing facility built in 1898 with its own restaurant, is one of the oldest still-operating baths in Basel. Every August the quarter celebrates its own "Breilemerfest" at the Birsköpfli. The Birsköpfli park and the Rhine riverside paths make the quarter popular with joggers and those seeking recreation, while traditional pubs ("Beizen") define its streetscape.
Green, close to the Rhine and down-to-earth: the "Braitlemer" have preserved their original, unpretentious character — ideal for anyone who values nature on the doorstep and genuine neighbourliness.
Show on the map →| Population | 9'326 |
Gotthelf
The Gotthelf quarter is named after the Swiss writer Jeremias Gotthelf and emerged around 130 years ago as a planned middle-class quarter following the demolition of the city walls. It gained its present, uniform appearance mainly in the 1920s and 30s through architects Wilhelm Emil Baumgartner and Hans Hindermann, who alone realised over 300 of the city's characteristic "Baumgartnerhäuser" here. Curiously, on the street "Im langen Loh" you change canton with every step — one side belongs to Basel-Stadt, the other to Allschwil in the canton of Basel-Landschaft. Statistically notable: Gotthelf has the highest proportion of women of any Basel quarter. It is considered an upmarket middle-class quarter: quiet, low-traffic avenues such as St. Gallerring, practically every house with its own front garden, plenty of green space — through traffic stays almost entirely on the boundary streets Allschwilerstrasse and Spalenring. Gotthelf lies on the western edge of the city, between Iselin to the north, Allschwil to the west, Bachletten to the south and Am Ring to the east. Despite its edge-of-city location, the city centre is easily reached.
Quiet avenues, front gardens and little through traffic — with a street where you change canton just by crossing it. Gotthelf is the upmarket, green residential quarter on Basel's city edge.
Show on the map →| Population | 7'072 |
Iselin
When founded in 1904, the quarter was initially called "Hegenheim", after the neighbouring Alsatian village. Because part of the population rejected the "foreign-sounding" name, it was renamed Iselin in 1932 after the Isaak-Iselin-Schule. The Basel Enlightenment philosopher Isaak Iselin (1728–1782) met both Rousseau and the naturalist Buffon on a trip to Paris in 1752; in 1777 he founded the GGG Basel, a society for the promotion of public welfare that remains active to this day. Iselin lies in the west of Basel, between St. Johann to the north, Allschwil and the French border near St-Louis to the west, Gotthelf to the south and Am Ring to the east — with around 17,000 residents, it is the city's third-largest quarter. Its finest landmark is the Strassburgerallee with its magnificent chestnut trees. The Bachgraben recreational area, with an outdoor pool and mini-golf, lies right next door, as does the Bachgraben life sciences cluster in Allschwil. It is a classic, densely populated residential quarter with a fair amount of traffic along the Wasgenring.
Residential and close to the centre, with the chestnut-lined Strassburgerallee as its finest corner: Iselin combines proximity to the city with short distances to Bachgraben and the pharma workplaces in Allschwil.
Show on the map →| Population | 18'044 |
Municipalities
Riehen
Riehen originated as an Alemannic settlement in the 6th century; the name has been documented since 1113. In 1522, the city of Basel bought the village — its last major territorial acquisition before the Reformation — and well into the 20th century Riehen remained a farming and wine-growing village. Its own vineyard at the Schlipf dates back to a 1,200-year-old winemaking tradition that continues to this day: when the tractor turns at the end of a vine row, it literally crosses the national border into Germany. World-famous is the Fondation Beyeler, opened in 1997 and designed by star architect Renzo Piano, set within the grounds of the Berower estate with views over the Langen Erlen, Basel's largest forested area. The historic village centre with the Wettsteinhaus recalls Johann Rudolf Wettstein, the Basel mayor who secured the Swiss Confederation's independence from the Holy Roman Empire in the Peace of Westphalia in 1648 — today the house is home to the MUKS museum. Despite its village-like feel, Riehen regularly ranks among the most liveable municipalities in the region — in a ranking by the Basler Kantonalbank, it took first place among 50 municipalities in north-western Switzerland. Tram 6 connects Riehen with the Badischer Bahnhof and the city centre; the municipality has its own local council.
Village idyll with Basel urbanity: vineyards reaching to the border, the Fondation Beyeler right in the village, and regularly ranked the most liveable municipality in the region.
Show on the map →| Population | 22'000 |
| To Roche (min) | 25 |
| To Novartis (min) | 22 |
| Green space | 40% |
| Avg. age | 44 |
Binningen
Binningen was first documented in 1004 — in 2004 the municipality celebrated its 1,000th anniversary. Until the cantonal split in 1833, the village belonged to the territory of the city of Basel; Bottmingen was even part of Binningen itself until 1837. The centre of the historic village core is Schloss Binningen, a moated castle dating from the 1290s that never served an administrative function but was always a residence — today it houses a restaurant and a small hotel. The Sonnenbad St. Margarethen, an open-air pool from 1903, is one of the oldest still-operating baths in the region. Tram 10 through Binningen has been Europe's longest international tram line since 1986, running across French territory all the way to Rodersdorf. Binningen is one of the wealthiest municipalities in the Baselbiet and was home to well-known figures: actor and writer Curt Goetz grew up here, and carmaker Peter Monteverdi was born here. Quiet residential areas, many single-family homes — Tram 10 runs directly to Aeschenplatz with no change needed. Good schools and shopping facilities are available, and the Novartis Campus is just a few minutes away.
1,000 years of history, its own moated castle and Europe's longest international tram line right on the doorstep — Binningen is the preferred choice for many expat families. 14 minutes to the Roche campus by tram.
Show on the map →| Population | 16'000 |
| To Roche (min) | 14 |
| To Novartis (min) | 12 |
| Green space | 18% |
| Avg. age | 42 |
Allschwil
Allschwil is first documented in 1033 as "Almswilre"; in the Neu-Allschwil quarter, a Gallo-Roman burial ground dating from around the time of Christ's birth was discovered in 1937 — one of the oldest finds of its kind north of the Alps. Together with the neighbouring village of Schönenbuch, Allschwil is the only village in the region with a distinctly Alsatian Sundgau character: half-timbered houses and narrow lanes in the historic village core, with the Gothic parish church of St. Peter and Paul (wooden figures dating from around 1500) as its oldest building. A roughly 40-metre water tower with a lift offers unobstructed views to the Black Forest. Very different is the Bachgraben Campus to the north: here sits Idorsia (successor to Actelion after its acquisition by Johnson & Johnson in 2017), a pharmaceutical headquarters housed in a building designed by Herzog & de Meuron. The "Basel Supercluster" around the campus brings together more than 800 life sciences companies and around 33,000 specialists — one of the most significant clusters in Europe. On the Ziegelei site, a new residential quarter for 500 to 600 residents is currently under construction. Tram 6 and several bus lines ensure quick commuter access; the area is very popular among international pharma employees thanks to short commutes.
An Alsatian village and a European life sciences supercluster in one: located practically on the doorstep of the Novartis Campus, with both its historic centre and modern developments equally in demand.
Show on the map →| Population | 22'000 |
| To Roche (min) | 12 |
| To Novartis (min) | 10 |
| Green space | 20% |
| Avg. age | 39 |
Muttenz
Muttenz's history reaches back to the Celtic and Bronze Ages: grave finds at the Wartenberg, the 479-metre hill south-east of the village, testify to early settlement. Three medieval castles once stood on the Wartenberg, destroyed in the great Basel earthquake of 1356 — afterwards, around 1420, Hans Thüring Münch had the village church of St. Arbogast converted into a fortified church, to this day the only surviving fortified church in Switzerland. Its ring wall, just over seven metres high with battlements and the remains of two gate towers, along with the ossuary built in 1513 with frescoes from around 1507, can still be visited today. In 1515, the debt-ridden Münch family was forced to sell the lordships of Münchenstein, Muttenz and Wartenberg to the city of Basel. Modern Muttenz is strongly shaped by industry: the Basel marshalling yard was once the largest in Switzerland, and Schweizerhalle is home to the Swiss Salinas saltworks as well as Novartis and Clariant plants. On the 34-hectare Polyfeld site, a new knowledge and residential quarter is emerging around the striking, cube-shaped FHNW campus with 4,000 students. The historic village centre with its medieval church provides an appealing contrast. Muttenz railway station offers direct S-Bahn connections to Basel SBB in 8 minutes.
Great value for money: spacious flats, one of the last fortified churches in Switzerland, and a new university quarter by the station. A solid location for families who prefer space over city life.
Show on the map →| Population | 22'000 |
| To Roche (min) | 18 |
| To Novartis (min) | 20 |
| Green space | 22% |
| Avg. age | 41 |
Birsfelden
Until 1815, barely more than a handful of houses stood here — it was only in 1874 that Birsfelden split off from Muttenz and became an independent municipality. With the cantonal split, the Birs became the cantonal border and Birsfelden a customs post, from which its character as a border town developed. Little known: from 1920 to 1950, Switzerland's first airport stood here on the Sternenfeld — already "the most modern in Switzerland" by 1926, with routes to London, Paris and Amsterdam; in 1930 even a Zeppelin landed there. After its closure, the Rhine harbour was built between 1937 and 1941, approved by 94% of the Baselland population in a vote. The Birsfelden power plant, built in 1954 with its fully glazed turbine hall, still supplies around 17% of the electricity for the Basel region today and is considered one of the region's most significant post-war structures. At Birsköpfli, where the Birs meets the Rhine, swimming and picnicking are popular among locals. Less well known: the Swiss headquarters of furniture maker Vitra is located in Birsfelden. The former harbour area continues to develop into a modern residential quarter with new cooperative housing. Tram 3 connects to Basel (Claraplatz, SBB) in 10–12 minutes.
Small, compact and directly docked onto Basel — with a surprising history as Switzerland's first airport. Noticeably cheaper than comparable city locations, 20 minutes to Roche by bike.
Show on the map →| Population | 10'000 |
| To Roche (min) | 20 |
| To Novartis (min) | 18 |
| Green space | 12% |
| Avg. age | 38 |
Münchenstein
Münchenstein, first mentioned in 1196 as "Kekingen", owes its present name to the Münch family, who built a castle here on the rock — "Münchs Stein". The town gained sad notoriety on 14 June 1891: when a railway bridge over the Birs, built by Gustave Eiffel's company, collapsed, killing 73 people — the worst rail disaster in Swiss history, which led to systematic inspection of all the country's railway bridges. Far less known: at the Haas type foundry, founded in Münchenstein in 1921, the Helvetica typeface was developed, one of the most widely used typefaces in the world. In 1912/13, the Gartenstadt Münchenstein became Switzerland's first cooperative garden-city development — its 36 houses with generous gardens remain protected to this day. On the cross-border Dreispitz site, several museums have settled, including the Schaulager, built by Herzog & de Meuron, and the Kunsthaus Baselland. Football star Roger Federer grew up in Münchenstein. Quiet and green, with a direct tram connection (lines 10 and 11) to Basel railway station. The municipality's area encompasses more affordable residential blocks as well as villa districts by the Birspark, which offers plenty of recreational space.
A quiet municipality on the Birs with a remarkable history — from Roger Federer's childhood to the world-famous Helvetica typeface. More affordable than Binningen, good for commuters and families who value green space.
Show on the map →| Population | 13'000 |
| To Roche (min) | 16 |
| To Novartis (min) | 14 |
| Green space | 20% |
| Avg. age | 40 |
Therwil
Therwil has been documented since 1223 and originally belonged to the Reichenau monastery before passing to the Bishop of Basel in 1518. With the opening of the Birsigtalbahn railway in 1887, the hitherto rural wine-growing village gained a direct rail link to Basel and became a residential municipality of the agglomeration. The Catholic church of St. Stephan, built 1627–1631, still defines the townscape today; in the former parsonage of 1607, the village museum displays, among other things, exhibits from the former Baloid comb factory (1915–1984). With over 10,000 residents, Therwil is officially classified as a town — yet the municipal president deliberately refuses to be called "Stadtpräsident" (town president), wanting to preserve the village-like, direct contact with residents. Just how seriously Therwil takes its village life was shown at the 799-year village festival in 2022: the municipality booked its own famous son, the internationally successful DJ Antoine, who drew around 30,000 visitors. Single-family homes and generous gardens characterise the townscape in the green Leimental valley. Despite its rural feel, it is well connected: Tram 10 runs via Binningen directly to Basel, and there is good motorway access via the A18.
The green commuter's paradise with village pride: for its 799-year festival, it booked its own son DJ Antoine to perform. For families with S-Bahn access, a relaxed alternative to the pricier city-edge locations.
Show on the map →| Population | 10'000 |
| To Roche (min) | 22 |
| To Novartis (min) | 20 |
| Green space | 28% |
| Avg. age | 43 |
Arlesheim
Arlesheim, capital of the district of the same name, is famous for its cathedral — the only one in Switzerland built as a cathedral chapter's residence. In 1679 the Basel cathedral chapter moved its seat here and built the Baroque cathedral (1680/81) along with the canons' houses around the Domplatz, which remains a closed ensemble to this day. The famous Silbermann organ of 1761 is one of the most important historic organs in Europe. Equally unique is the Ermitage: laid out in 1785, it is the largest English landscape garden in Switzerland, with ponds, grottoes and the Birseck ruin. Until 1792 Arlesheim belonged to the Prince-Bishopric of Basel, was then French for 22 years and joined the canton of Basel in 1815. Today Arlesheim is an upscale, green place to live — BLT tram 10 runs directly into the centre of Basel.
Historic and upscale: the Domplatz, the Silbermann organ and the sprawling Ermitage make Arlesheim unique. A green, quiet place to live with a direct tram 10 to Basel — popular with families and those seeking peace.
Show on the map →Reinach BL
Reinach, first mentioned as "Rinacho" under Basel bishop Ludwig Garewart (1164–1176), has had over 20,000 inhabitants since 2023, making it one of the largest municipalities in the canton of Basel-Landschaft — though it deliberately retains municipal status. The population grew in three waves: in the 18th century, with the opening of the tram line in the 20th, and in the largest post-war wave when 14,000 people arrived in just 30 years. The area at the southern foot of the Bruderholz stretches from the Birs with the protected Reinacher Heide — one of the last floodplain remnants in the region — up to 373 m above sea level. Despite rapid growth, Reinach has preserved its historic village core. BLT tram line 11 connects it directly to Basel. Reinach is a balanced place to live for families, professionals and seniors who want city proximity with green space and quiet.
The largest agglomeration municipality in Basel-Landschaft, family-friendly and green: from the Reinacher Heide to its preserved village core, Reinach combines city proximity with plenty of recreation. Tram 11 runs directly to Basel.
Show on the map →Oberwil BL
Oberwil lies about 5 km from Basel in the Leimental valley, on the eastern slope of the Bielhübel. At the Congress of Vienna in 1815 the Birseck — and with it Oberwil — joined the canton of Basel. In October 2005 the municipality passed the 10,000-inhabitant mark, but is officially not a town, having deliberately opted against it. Oberwil is a regional school hub: alongside several primary schools and the Hüslimatt lower secondary, it is home to the Gymnasium Oberwil, which draws pupils from across the Leimental. BLT tram line 10 — which runs across French territory to Rodersdorf — reaches the city centre in about 15 minutes, Basel SBB in around 20. Various bus lines round out the network towards Bottmingen, Biel-Benken, Allschwil and Arlesheim. Oberwil is a quiet, family-friendly place with a village character and good connections.
A quiet Leimental village with a grammar school and village character: Oberwil combines green space and family-friendly calm with a direct tram 10 to Basel in about 15 minutes.
Show on the map →Magden AG
Magden lies in the Aargau Fricktal, about 15 km east of Basel, in the valley of the Magdenerbach between wooded ridges and vineyards. The village is old — Roman traces and a settlement pattern grown over centuries. You have open country on your doorstep and are still in the city in a good twenty minutes.
Rural, quiet, with wine and woodland: Magden is a village rather than a suburb. Anyone looking for space and landscape, and willing to make the trip into Basel, finds a different life here — and noticeably more square metres for the money.
Show on the map →Looking for an apartment in a specific quarter?